Re: Ballasting a Pole Pig

I never thought of putting them in parallel. If there is a 100V difference in the output voltage of each transformer, for example 1 NST is 15.1KV while a second might be 14.9KV would they get stressed that way if placed in parallel? Or does a 100 volt not much to an NST?"

The leakage reactance of a 15 kV, 30 ma transformer is of the order of 500 k (15000/0.030). The current flowing between two transformers with a difference of terminal voltage of 100 would be (100/1000000) or only 100 uA. Parallel them happily. I've hooked a 12 kV and 15 kV 60 ma NST in parallel and had no problems. Application wasn't TC but that shouldn't make any difference. Short-circuit current was close to 120 ma and open-circuit voltage should be have been 13.5 kV but never measured it.

Ed