Re: Quench gap?

Original poster: "S&JY" <youngsters@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Robert,

In Thomas Curtis's 1916 book "High Frequency Apparatus" is a description of
the "Quenched Gap".  I think that is what you refer to.  I quote:  "By
making the spark gap electrodes very massive, facing them off very
accurately in a lathe, providing large radiation surface on each electrode,
and, finally, by supporting the electrodes in such manner that the
separation of their faces is but a few thousands or perhaps hundredths of an
inch, we have what is commonly termed the quenched gap."  Curtis notes the
break rate is considerably higher than an ordinary gap, and the large
surface area and mass of the electrodes (several inches in diameter and at
least an inch thick) dissapate the heat as fast as it is generated.

Continuing the quote "The high frequency discharge from a Tesla or Oudin
coil operated with it is astonishing; instead of the thin, wiry discharge or
spark, we get a flaming, white discharge that can best be compared with the
flame from a very high potential, low frequency transformer.  The high
frequency discharge is not silent, however, but it partakes of a loud
crashing hiss."  He concludes with advise that is still good:  "The reader
will see that even with all of its many troublesome features, the quenched
gap is well worth building, if for purposes of experiment only."  Also
described is a rotary version of the quenched gap.

By the way, the book also describes what may be the original "MMC", which in
this case would be a maxi-multicapacitor--a number of glass plate capacitors
connected in series-parallel.  The book has been available from Lindsay
Publications - not sure it still is.
--Steve Y.

Basically