Re: homemade transformer

Original poster: "Mike" <mike.marcum@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Luckily pcb traces are usually wide and thin instead of round/squarish, which makes a nice surface area to release heat. Also, the traces aren't stacked on top of each other to multiply heat buildup like in a coil. Which leads me to a question: anyone know how the world's biggest transformer (1500 MVA and 765-345kv according to Guiness) deals with the 7.5 MW of heat (99.5 % efficient)? Seems like even oil would have a tough time unless it was the size of a city block. I hate to see that blow up like the one on Bert H.'s site.

Mike
To: <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, February 02, 2005 8:45 PM
Subject: Re: homemade transformer

"Size of the wire (determined by the current.. what is it 750 cmil/amp?
as a
guideline)
Number of turns (determined by the maximum flux in the core)"

I just pulled an ad by an PCB outfit named "ADVANCED CIRCUITS" out of a
throw-away magazine which   Has three figures showing required conductor
"cross section in SQ. MILES"  vs "current in amperes".  I've heard of
conservative design but this is a record!

Ed