RE: The "second pig" ballast: Questions.

Original poster: "J. Aaron Holmes" <jaholmes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

I'm sure I've got more than enough cross-sectional area, since this thing comes from a 15kVA transformer. I'm mainly wondering why the LV winding pulls only an amp with 30 or so turns...? That makes me think 150 would be *way* too many turns, since I want the thing to pass around 20A at 120V. To be clear: It is *not* an "EI" core, but rather two "spools" of steel sitting side-by-side. It looks like an "EI" core only in that it has two "windows", where many modern pole transformers only have one. This one comes from a Westinghouse 14.7kV 15kVA transformer dated 1963. It's an oldie. Does this sort of core have a much greater permeability than a core made of discrete E's and I's?

It just doesn't add up (to me), which probably means
it's time for bed :-)

Aaron