Re: The "second pig" ballast: Questions.

Original poster: Steve Ward <steve.ward@xxxxxxxxx>

Aaron,

During this test you left the other winding of the transformer OPEN,
meaning that the only current flowing is due to the magnetizing
current.  If the HV winding was NOT present (cut off), or shorted,
this would be a far different scenario, and you would not be limited
to 1A or whatever.  This is why if you want to use a MOT as a ballast,
you must short out the other winding so that it passes the current (in
this way, only the leakage inductance is limiting here).

The best thing to do is to get an LCR meter and actually measure your
inductance so you can know what to expect.

Steve W.