Re: The "second pig" ballast: Questions.

Original poster: "J. Aaron Holmes" <jaholmes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Thanks, all.  This is great info!

I went ahead and cut the remaining coils off, and
guess what?!  The "spools" are indeed "C's".  The cuts
in the laminations aren't aligned, but staggered,
making them very difficult to see by the poor light in
my garage.  So I think I'm going to try going with
just half of the core (one "C").  Next step is to
build up the courage to cut the steel straps holding
the two C's together.  They do appear as though
they'll separate easily...hopefully not violently!
Then I'll get a pair of large hose clamps in for
relief of the straps holding the laminations together
and see if I can slowly open the gap enough to poke a
shim in there.

If it all works out, I'll put up a picture or two of
the finished product, since it sounds like it might be
the first time this sort of core has been used for a
ballast (with good reason!! :) )

Thanks again,
Aaron