Re: Need Help With School Project

At 03:52 PM 2/8/2005, you wrote:
Original poster: biomed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hello,

The neon sign transformer (NST) you need is 30 mA (milliamp) at about
10,000 volt. These things are dangerous.  A used one will be cheap from an
electrical repair / install company  or of course a neon sign shop.  If you
live in the northern parts of the country, you could also use an OBIT (oil
burning ignition transformer) for home furnaces.  These are usually 23 mA
at 10,000 volts (10kv).   This is what I used for my first tesla coil while
I was in high school.   Do some google searches, and you'll find the tesla
coil web ring where there is lots of information about making these things.

OBITs used to be available from W.W.Grainger (http://www.grainger.com) a big industrial supplier, but I notice that all they have in the catalog now is the electronic versions (which won't work for a tesla coil).

Perhaps Johnstone Supply (http://www.johnstonesupply.com/) would have them.

There are a variety of online suppliers of heating equipment that have them (they run about $60).