Re: homemade rolled cap

Original poster: BunnyKiller <bunikllr@xxxxxxx>

Hey Bobby...

to answer your question.... the answer is A. several times or B. spend more money trying to build one than just buying one elsewhere... ( look on Ebay it may take time tho) for a reliable cap.... and the lowest cost would be to do the MMC ( multi mini cap) plus its "adjustable" by adding/subtracting caps and planning the series/parallel layout....

I tried making my own caps I sucseeded but spent well over 250$ doing so but eventually the homemade caps died.... (and I ended up buying "real" caps off of ebay for the same amount spent on making homemades so in effect I spent 2 X more than I should have) even the finest dust particles, dirt, fingerprint oils, carpet fuzzies etc can stick to the dielectric ( the insulator between the aluminum sheeting) due to static electricity or even casual contact.... this stuff will allow corona to form between the sheeting and create pockets of air which heat up to very impressive temperatures and POOF the insulator melts and allows arcs to form between plates thus rendering the cap as a short circuit ( not good) ..... if you are at an extreme financial disadvantage, go for the bucket caps or the beer bottle caps altho messy, heavy and lossy they are low cost ( plus emptying the beer bottles can be fun if done "right"... )

as I stated in my WebPage... " the caps are the heart of the system and TAKE THE ULTIMATE IN ABUSE!! "

if you are going to spend the hard earned bucks    spend them on the cap...

Scot D

Tesla list wrote:

Original poster: Bobby Amaya <dimon20042004@xxxxxxxxx>

Hi everyone,

Can anyone tell me how to build a good high
voltage(40+kv) rolled cap that is not extreemely
expensive?
Bobby,

=====