Re: RSG Treadmill Motor

Steve, all,

I, too am in love with treadmill type DC motors for ASRSG drive
purposes ;^) Mine that I am using in my large coil that I am in the
process of building is a 2.5 HP, 130 VDC, 3500 RPM motor. It
cost me considerably more than $10 but then again, it's a little fan-
cier than this one, too :^) The motor body is over 11" long and
has a built-on mounting foot. There is also no perceptable end
play on the shaft of mine and the biggest problem was getting the
GPO-3 disc balanced and the electrodes positioned properly
(and perpendicullar) along the same axial position of the disc.
Actually, I didn't get them quite prefect, but was able to get
them pretty close. Darn, it's hard to machine nice looking stuff
w/out a lathe and a drill press, minimum. I did end up finding
a local fellow hobbiest who had a nice acoutrement of machine
shop tools in his garage and I got him to put a few of the finishing
touches on my gap. I should have let him do all of the drilling from
the beginning and that would've saved me a lot of headache and
I would have ended up with a "perfect" looking RSG ;^) But
all in all, it's definitely the best and nicest looking ASRSG that I
have built to date (not that that's saying much) ;^)

BTW, 1000 uFd seems kind of "overkill" on the fitering to me.
I use 200 uFd and it seems to work fine for me. I get similar
current readings on mine with the 200 uFd cap for filtering.

David Rieben