Re: Parallel resonant DRSSTC

Original poster: FutureT@xxxxxxx

In a message dated 1/6/05 2:27:24 PM Eastern Standard Time, tesla@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

Hi all,

I was curious if anyone has ever tried designing a DRSSTC using a capacitor
in parallel with the primary rather than in series with it. If something
like that could work it would have a big advantage that the extreamly high
primary current would be between the capacitor and primary, and there would
be almost no current throgh the switching devices.

Has anyone ever thought of something like this, or played with the idea
with simulation software?

What would be the disadvantage of something like that?

Sue

Hi Sue,

I would think the parallel tank would present a high impedance to
the solid state switches giving a poor impedance match.
It works for tube coils due to the high impedance of tube circuits,
and the higher voltage supply.  Maybe I'm not understanding the
details of your proposed design?

Cheers,
John