From: "Tesla list" <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: Giant DC coil to run in Australia
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2005 07:54:26 -0700

Original poster: Greg Leyh <lod@xxxxxxxxxxx>

It's true that the charging reactors will work fine in the primary circuit, although the 3 reactors will undoubtedly contain more total mass [and $] than a single reactor on the DC. The reactor for Electrum is 2H, 8.3Apk, and weighs about 100lbs. I seem to remember it costing around $1800 from Stangenes, in 1997 $. Here's a pic of it:
http://www.lod.org/Projects/electrum/NewZealand/pages/nzreactor.html

The 2H reactor happens to be a fairly standard build for Stangenes.
Perhaps CAUAC has some slightly more exotic requirements. Does anyone know the Cpri value for CAUAC?

-GL

Original poster: "Steve Conner" <steve.conner@xxxxxxxxxxx>

>It appears that the only thing limiting the charging current is the
>impedance of the transformers and power feed.

As a fan of DC coiling I was pretty interested in the "CAUAC" thing. An
absolutely awesome project and I can't wait to see pictures of the next run.
Anyway I saw the following quote-

"In fact I finally had to stop because my limiters started to smoke; they
were pulling over 100 amps continuous through 8 AWG wire!"

So I assume Syd used three reactors in the three incoming AC lines. If I
remember my power electronics right this does limit the rectifier output
current by introducing "overlap" but it would probably work a hell of a lot
better with a real resonant charging choke. But that charging choke will be
big and heavy (Maybe the $6,800 price included a free truck?)

If you wanted to make your own choke, you could try dismantling a pole pig
and reassembling it with an air gap :^)

Steve C.