Re: Hello from The Newbie

Original poster: "Chris Watkins" <tesla@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> Original poster: FutureT@xxxxxxx
>
> Chris,

> There's a certain satisfaction in being able to get good sparks without
> spending a fortune for components.  The performance results obtained
> depends as much upon the design as on the component quality.

That's what I'm hoping.

> Consider spark gaps for example.  Many newbies just toss something
> together using a couple of nail or bolt heads as an afterthough after
> building the rest of the coil.  However the spark gap is the heart of
> a tesla coil in many ways.  It can be cheap and made of junk, but
> it should use a suitable design.

I'm expecting to end up with some sort of "series of gaps" design.
That depends on whether I'm able to control any urges to cobble up
something quick and simple, just to "see sparks now", of course :-)

> A cardboard secondary will work fine.  You may be able to
> find a length of PVC plastic pipe instead.

This seems to be a common theme in most of the replies...
so I may eventually end up going that route.

> Cheers,
> John

Thanks!