Re: Hello from The Newbie

Original poster: "Chris Watkins" <tesla@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> Original poster: "Brian" <ka1bbg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>

>  second
> suggestion is build the primary with 1/4 or 3/8 tube,  i use salvaged
copper
> wire, 1/8 square or larger also works.

I'm hoping the #8 ground wire I have on hand will be sufficient, but I may
pickup some 1/4" tubing if I have to end up going to Home Depot after all.

> for torois i use a fan
> shroud, the thinner ones with rounded surface at the edge will get you
> started.

Depending on how the whole thing ends up... I have some appropriately
shaped plastic wheels for a torroid, or some toy balls to use as a sphere.
I'm thinking I can simply cover either form with aluminum foil/tape.

> My coil this size is running 550 watts from a 9 kv 60 ma transformer, i
have
> hit 42 inches using the coils described. you can use this coil set up to a
> 1000 watts easily. one of my young friends has this coil set, runs a pair
of
> bug killer transformers and gets 14 inches of arc. probably only 200
> watts...

Sounds pretty sweet.

Thanks!

--