Re: coil running of car battery(s)?

Original poster: "Jim Lux" <jimlux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tesla list" <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx> To: <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx> Sent: Sunday, January 23, 2005 7:56 AM Subject: Re: coil running of car battery(s)?

> Original poster: Jerry White <starcatfisher@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> > > I am thinking of doing somthing like this myself.this is what I am thinking > of, a 555 timer ckt. @ around 60-100 hz driving a HEI auto coil (or 2). > possably use the 555 ckt to drive a 3055 fet for more current to the coils?

Something to think about.... The ignition system already includes a high
current transistor designed to put pulses through the coil.  Use the 555 to
drive the lowpowered input to the HEI ignition module, rather than just
using the coil  I haven't researched this recently, but it seems that the
ignition module (the part between the pickup coil and the ignition coil)
should be readily available cheap (possibly as part of the system on the
distributor?)