Re: coil running of car battery's)?

Original poster: Steve Ward <steve.ward@xxxxxxxxx>

Hey Derek

> You can drive these coils from a bridge or half bridge, I've never tried, I > suspect that the voltage out would be less, but you should be able to get > more power through the coil. Has anyone tried this ? > > Cheers > Derek > >

Yep, i ran an ignition coil on a half-bridge.  The trick is to make it
a dual resonant primary.  I forget what size tank cap i used, but i
basically found it to be best to select a resonant frequency (formed
by the IC primary and added capacitor) of 500hz or greater.  As i
increased the resonant frequency (And retuned) i kept achieving better
power levels, i think up near 300W eventually.  The output looked
similar to a 12/30 NST.  Would probably work well for a DC TC.

Steve