Re: Terry's DRSSTC - higher power testing

Hi Steve,

At 09:50 PM 1/30/2005, you wrote:
Hey Terry,

Looks like its time to throw a secondary coil in there. How could you resist??

I have probably brought up "thousands" of 10 and 20 kW switchers in my old test days... Patience save a lot of explosions ;-))

All looks great.  Only thing i wonder about is your transmission line
from your main box to the primary circuit... adds a bit of leakage L.
How long do you plan on making those runs of wire?

That was just for testing... Need to have the box distant to get to the scope and bench. I did not ringing which was probably from that cable.

500A would be really good for those size IGBTs i think.  My older
DRSSTC-1 setup used about 600A to get 48" i think (sorta hard to
remember).  Anyway, looking forward to see what happens with this
project ;-).

Oh, and you probably already talked about this, but how are you
monitoring the temp on the IGBTs?  Just a thermistor or something more
high-tech?

It uses a isolated LM35 IC on the +buss heatsink. It puts out 10mV/1C and is accurate to +-1C. A simple multimeter on the output reads out temperature pretty much directly. It is on the top left IGBT here with the read/green/white wires.

http://drsstc.com/~terrell/pictures/F-H-Bridge-Drive.JPG

Anyway, Good luck with the "real" testing ;-)

Thanks!

Cheers,

        Terry

Steve W