From: Tesla list [mailto:tesla@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thu Jun 02 11:05:31 2005
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: intro

Original poster: Jim Lux

At 02:42 PM 6/1/2005, Tesla list wrote:
>Original poster: Just Justin
>
>Greetings!
>
>My name is Justin and I've got the bug to make a tesla coil. (Hi Justin...)
>
>Also if you have any advice for a first timer I'd love to hear it as well.
>There seem to be quite a few ways to skin this cat.

Start accumulating parts. For a first coil, the hard/expensive part to come up with is usually the HV transformer. Keep your eyes and ears open for things like neon sign transformers. You want the non-electronic sign transformers. If you know of a neon sign shop, stop by and ask if they have a scrap heap with a transformer or two. You want a 12kV or 15kV unit, 30mA is a typical current rating, although 60mA is also available.

Just as a price check.. brand new NSTs (15kV 30mA) run about $80-100,
retail. Used, a lot less, depending on condition. I've seen anywhere from
$10-30 for a working transformer, but, you've got to wait to find one.

If someone offers you a partly dead transformer for free, grab it. NSTs
have two HV output terminals, and sometimes, just one side will be dead.
Sometimes they can be resurrected, and if it isn't, you've got a free
doorstop. Don't pay for a transformer that isn't shown to be working,
though. Working used ones are available too cheaply to waste your time.

Other stuff that you should keep your eyes open for:

PVC pipe in larger diameters. 4" or bigger. If you're driving by a
construction site where they are installing big drain pipes (like 10,12 or
14") and they've got a cutoff chunk about 4-6 ft long, ask if you can have
it. Sometimes, they'll have pieces where it got bashed on the end, so it's
not a nice edge. You can cut the end off and have a great form for a big
secondary.

Magnet wire in suitable quantities. You'll need enough for around 1000
turns on your form (roughly 1000 ft for a 4" tube). Anything bigger the
AWG28 is worth scrounging.

That expandable aluminum ducting used for things like bathroom vents and
dryers.

White plastic cutting boards

A 1-2 foot length of 3/4" or 1" copper pipe that you can cut into 2-3" long
sections. A tubing cutter is definitely the way to go on this, by the way.

Some of those white plastic 5 gallon buckets (for making a beer bottle
capacitor).