RE: Anti-science movement was re: Cable ZAPPED

Original poster: "Rich" <rdjmgmt@xxxxxxxxxx>

Jonathan , I agree with you 100%. People today can watch sports on TV
and that's OK with then but build something like a coil and you are a
"nut case". My son who is a computer geek in the Air Force understands
and will ask real questions about how it works but most people don't
have a clue about science today.
Do we need to make up a list to hand out to the "normal people" that
would explain what and why we do what we do ??

Rich

Original poster: "Jonathan Peakall" <jpeakall@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

 > I also think the Tesla coil is a powerful symbol of what we believe
in.
 > It's pretty much the epitome of science for its own sake, as you
 > will know
 > if you've ever demonstrated a coil and been asked "Why did you build
that
 > thing" or "What does it do" and tried to come up with a
 > satisfying answer.
 > You can't explain the reason to someone who has no interest in
 > science, and

That one always amazes me. After all they just saw my coil make 4' arcs.
How
the heck can you wonder what it is for after seeing that? It makes big
sparks, you idiot!!

Why did I make it? I like big sparks, you idiot!

Jonathan