Re: Distilled water as a dielectric?

Original poster: "Jim Lux" <jimlux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tesla list" <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx> To: <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx> Sent: Monday, June 06, 2005 8:19 PM Subject: Re: Distilled water as a dielectric? > > > > > > For other readers: Yes, I know this is not an optimal solution. > > > But > > >the amount of money I can put into the TC right now is low, and this > > >solution just plain works.... What I'm trying to say is that this > > >*works* and you don't always have to spend the big bucks to get a > > >perfectly satisfying Tesla Coil. > > > > > > Dave Small > > > > Dave, I think you nailed it here. There are far too many "cookie > > cutter" solutions out there, even in this hobby.... > > > > "A good idea is the enemy of a better one, as you stop looking for > > alternatives." ? Tudor Rickards > > I like the "cookie-cutter" description of a particular approach to > hobbies. In my opinion it is all wrong. Little is learned by > following a recipe and having it work perfectly first time except > that you could repeat that recipe with some confidence. The real > learning occurs when things don't work as expected and one is forced > to think above all else

However, a big part of coiling for most people is learning how to scrounge
for materials, and how to find sources for things. It's not like you can go
the Tesla Coil Supplies aisle at Wal-mart.  I think that having a basic
"almost sure to work" design for the first coil is a good idea.  Inevitably,
there will be things you'll have to change from the design, and there's a
whole lot of mechanical and construction work involved that can't be
adequately described in a few short pages.  Very few people "build to print"
the basic design. It's somewhere between assembling a Heathkit and a "from
first principles" design.

Compare this more to the classic "hot-rod" hobby.  Most people start by
rebuilding something using the shop manual, then, after developing
confidence and tool skills, move on to more substantial modifications.
Relatively few study thermodynamics and design a system from scratch.