Re: metal spinning on DIY

Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz" <acmdq@xxxxxxxxxx>

Tesla list wrote:

Original poster: Ben McMillen <spoonman534@xxxxxxxxx>
   I tried this once with some sheet copper. I made lots of
'hat-looking' plates, since that's all the further I
managed to get before the metal sheet separated form the
half-formed sphere.. I never quite got the technique down,
although I imagine that aluminum might be a bit more
forgiving..

This is the most common problem. The trick is to form the metal to a bell shape, and not to a "hat" shape, that will surely break. And frequent annealing is absolutely necessary with copper and brass. See http://www.coe.ufrj.br/~acmq/spinning

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz