Re: Brightness of streamers vs. ground strikes (Rogowski coil)

Original poster: Steve Conner <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

What sort of response do you think I will need for ground rod strikes knowing what we do about streamer/arc capacitance and resistance?

For the experiments "I" want to do with inhibited discharges, I would want to sense currents of a few amps only, at the resonant frequency of the coil. That is a little too low to get good signal-to-noise ratio from a Rogowski coil IMO. I would rather use a ferrite-cored CT with Faraday shielding.

However, if the ground strike develops fully into a bright arc, I estimate it would pack hundreds of amps peak current with high frequency components into the tens of megahertz. I'm not interested in measuring this aspect but I do want to stop it from blowing the digital scope to hell.

Steve Conner