Re: 4" MOT 4stack First Light

Original poster: Bob81818@xxxxxxx

My static gap is a tcbor style with 8 gaps, but I'm only using three, for a total of about .111 inch gap. I'm using a microwave fan as of right now, but I'm greatly considering a blower with a higher air flow. So far the higher the fan speed the better the output. I set both the main and safety using just the xformer. The main so it would fire consistently when I applied power across it, and the safety so it just wouldn't fire.
Dan E.

Original poster: Chris TheGreat <downnessisgoingup@xxxxxxxxx>

Nice job, my coil (which I need to get out and work on again) is
nearly identical, although my tank cap is half the size (~45nF).  I am
hoping to fix that this summer and get about 100nF.
I got 36 inches out of mine so far, so with some tuning you'll be
getting some great arcs!

What's your sparkgap design?  I found that when using MOT stacks the
sparkgap is almost always the problem, and unless it has very good
quenching it won't work well at all.  Simple fans don't seem to cut
it, unfortunately, I needed a shop-vac to get enough airflow to quench
mine semi-well.

I have no safety gaps on my coil (and that's why I no longer have
current limiting capacitors) so I don't know how they act.