Re: Tesla's CS Coil Data from ScanTesla and all....

Hi Bart,

At 02:49 PM 6/26/2005, you wrote:
Cool, thanks Terry (I'm really not going crazy!).

I modeled the Wendover coil and came up with a completely different set of parameters (thus, my concern). I can say the Wendover coil primary and secondary info was excellent. Both were about 43 kHz. The tertiary interestingly was closer to 100 kHz. Something is wrong with the 3rd coil setup (either very wrong or something is seriously missing. i.e., force driven? because it is "absolutely not" resonate to the primary and secondary - even with huge toploads.).

I wonder if K23 and K13 couplings would help fix that stuff. I just can't believe Tesla's CS coil was that bad... I am sure it was not perfect, but there is good reason to wonder if the model is not taking something correctly into account... There is an outside chance Tesla coil have gotten 30+ foot arcs out of it, but I think it needs help... Antonio could probably add these to the A matrix easily or "I" might even try ;-)) But all the engines I have working internally on are in the junk yard now :o)

There is also Bill Wysock's coil that has very good info available. It is also the world's "best" coil at a hair under 60 foot arcs... That machine is also modern so we don't have to worry about anything being messed up on it like salt water caps and other odd lossy things... Bill's coil is made with all the modern stuff and it's design is very good. If the models don't agree with Bill's coil, the "models" are wrong... I could not get his site before but it is up today:

www.ttr.com

Model 13.

That would be a good coil to refine the models with since we know so many solid facts about it. Bob Golka's coil is very close to Tesla's also.

The parameters and input files for MandK, ScanTesla, E-Tesla that I used are here if you want to check my input data:

http://drsstc.com/~terrell/modeling/Teslas-CScoil.ZIP

Probably more interesting than cleaning the grill ;-))

I think Richard Hull's magnifier had the secondary coil set at 90 degrees to eliminate Kx3 coupling!!

I agree regarding Tesla's 3rd coil, including Golka's rendition. When these coils are placed center to the sec & pri systems, there is absolutely mutual induction occurring. This is very different than the typical maggy built the past several years. Even my maggy built a year or so ago was a better representation of Tesla's coil than the typical maggy (3rd coil centered to the driver).

Golka's pri to sec coupling was about 0.33. I didn't model the tertiary coupling, but I may do that following this email (unless my honey forces the BBQ cleaning soon - a mans sixth sense is pulsing!). I must say thanks to Mike for posting Golka's data. There is absolutely no doubt Golka had a very interesting coil to play with, and I care very little for anyone who says otherwise. Golka built a massive coil which was certainly of an "older vintage style" coil than anything we have today. Not even Wysock's coils or many of the other "professionals" have pulled off anything like this. While modeling Golka's Wendover coil, I developed a whole new appreciation for what he did. I've heard some interesting "comments" through my time on the TCML regarding Golka. Although I can understand why those negative comments may have had some credibility, I cannot discount Golka's ability to build a coil in the "likeness" of Tesla and to a grand scale. My hat is off to Golka!

There is "friction" between some folks for sure, but Mike has provided us with new "facts" about the Golka's coil so we can study them without getting into the personal issues. Of course, those personal things are their problem, not ours ;-)

Today we seem to have tons of wonderful data available!! Thank goodness Tesla wrote stuff down and it survived and got published!!!

Mike's data on Bob Golka's coil provides more info than we could have ever hoped for:

http://www.hot-streamer.com/mike2004/Wendover_Coil_Print_And_Spec.jpg

So we need to work on the magnifier models.....

Cheers,

        Terry

Take care,
Bart