RE: Resulting static after TC runs

Hi,

Steve's explanation seems to make sense to me. The OLTC can easily "always" cut "off" on say a positive half cycle. The net charge can always be FAR positive if one wants. Unlike a conventional coil, OLTC's and the newer disruptive electronic machines have extreme control over quenching. They can easily do tricks like this to the primary current ;-))

http://hot-streamer.com/temp/OLTC08-18-08.gif

You can't do that with grampa's old spark gap coil!!! DC Cox made a gap that could "once in a great while" cut off at a primary current peak but it is an "extreme" high speed quencher. But quenching "whenever one feels like it" with "perfect" bang to bang repeatability is just a typical thing for OLTCs.

It is a bit of a challenge since they "must" do these things and survive since making them quench like spark gaps coils would be sort of hard. OLTC's quench "whenever they want to" irregardless of the primary current! The timing of the LM555 timer (uPs nowadays ;-)) is in full control of quenching times and nothing else!

The secondary voltage will follow the primary current pretty predictably so even if the secondary rings on a bit it will still tend toward one polarity of net charge. The negative polarity tend to breakout much easier so that further could amplify the effect.

I suppose if one "wanted" to deliberately spray high voltage charge all over the place (maybe good for head colds...), something like an OLTC would be perfect for that (there goes that patent >:o))) It would make those little room air ozone toys look like quack science :D

Often when the "whole" room" seems to have a static charge, it is often the case that the room has drained back to ground and it is the experimenter that is actually all charged ;-))

Cheers,

        Terry

At 10:49 PM 2/28/2005, you wrote:
On 28 Feb 2005, at 12:54, Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Derek Woodroffe" <tesla@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> Steve,
>  I have noticed a similar static charge on a couple of static gap
> coils, and my smaller OLTC.
>
>  I put it down to the last voltage swing, either -ve or -ve from the
> secondary would leave a charge on any non conducting surface..
>
>  With the amount of control you have over your burst length you are
> probably leaving a net +ve or -ve charge after each burst especially
> if you are cutting off the burst at a half cycle. Maybe this net
> difference is what is making the build up of charge..
>
>  Cheers
>  Derek

I don't think that explanation earns the cigar. The amplitude of the
"final swing" is ??????

Malcolm