RE: Resulting static after TC runs

Original poster: "Steve Conner" <steve.conner@xxxxxxxxxxx>

>Steve's explanation seems to make sense to me.  The OLTC can easily
>"always" cut "off" on say a positive half cycle.

Well the primary current can, but the secondary current (and voltage) always
rings down gradually which I think was Malcolm's point- the amplitude of the
"final swing" is infinitely small. It's more likely to be the "corona
rectification" effect which happens because the electrodes have different
breakout voltages depending on whether the charge is positive or negative.
There were actually high voltage cold cathode rectifier "tubes" made on this
principle AFAIK.

BTW- I was reading "Troubleshooting Analog Circuits" by Bob Pease and I came
across a letter that Bob had published in the book, written by a Malcolm
Watts of New Zealand, I wonder if it is the same Malcolm Watts who posts
here?

Steve C.