Re: High Voltage Transformer

Original poster: BunnyKiller <bunikllr@xxxxxxx>

Okay...   thats more like it...

a 10KVAC trannie will work well since you are rectifying the output. In fact you maynot have to go above 125VAC input into the trannie.

If you use a 12KV 30mA neon sign trannie you wont need the 5Kohm resistor since the trannie is current limited ( it can take the so called short circuit current draw at initial charge of the empty cap)

altho if a 12KV unit is used, DC output will be around 16KVDC you may want to keep that variac below 90% output
Ebay normally has several 12KV units available for around 20 - 50 $ depending on whos selling ...

A lighting supplier would carry them too but new prices are around 60 - 90 $ depending on maker. Check the phone book for Neon Sign makers/ installer, they normally have a stash of used , broken, old trannies sitting in the back or somewhere.... talk to them with an intellegent mannerism and let them know of your experience and desire with Hi Volt usage... you may get lucky and be given several units for free...

BTW  what are you discharging the cap into?  flashlamp ? coil? H2O bomb?...

Scot D

Tesla list wrote:

Original poster: NuclearFirestorm@xxxxxxx
The cap I'm charging is a 225 uF 15kV cap. It will have a 5 MOhm energy dissipation resistor, 500W 5 kOhm current limiting resistor, and a string of balanced diodes to perform half-wave rectification.
The input power will come from a 110 input 0 to 130 Volt out variable transformer. The variable transformer is to be raised at a certain rate to keep the power from being initially too high. The circuit has been designed and simulated in pSpice. I believe the charge time was 20 or 30 seconds, I forgot the exact number. The only missing part was a transformer.

Thanks.