Re: Litz Wire

Original poster: "Mike Knowlton" <amdx@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> Hi All,
>    I have about 1100ft of 12/36 litz wire, my >understanding is this wire
is good to about 50 khz. If I >wind a secondary with this and it rings at
say 200khz, is >this litz any better than a #30 or #28.
  > Mike

>Hi Mike > I built a secondary using Litz wire once (in my early coil >building days). No significant difference in performance >or Q was noted over using a suitable gauge of solid Cu. >Litz is usually specified as being most useful in the MW >broadcast band where the higher frequency > (smaller) coils operate but by the time you approach >500kHz to 1MHz > you find that more inductance is better than more Q, at >least for disruptive discharge coils. > > Malcolm

 Hi Malcolm,
  Do recall what size litz you used, it makes a difference,
the ideal wire size is #42 from 200 to about 350khz and #44 from 350khz to
850khz. See
   http://www.litz-wire.com/technical.html

>>No significant difference in performance or Q was >>noted over using a
suitable gauge of solid Cu.

Someone will have to calculate this, I have seen litz make a large
difference in the Q of an inductor.
I hope someone beats me to the calculation, but for now let's agree on a
common wire size for comparison purposes.  How about # 22??   and 300Khz for
the resonant freq.
 I'm open to change these numbers if some other coilers
have better info.
                                 Mike