Re: PVC pipe

At 03:29 PM 3/10/2005, you wrote:
Original poster: "Paul B. Brodie" <pbbrodie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Is anyone familiar with the light green, thin walled PVC? Lowe's has it and the wall thickness is about half that of schedule 40.

This is probably what's called SDR (Sanitary, Drain, ???) aka sewer pipe. I know people that have used it. What you really, really want to check (maybe there's a manufacturer name and part # on the pipe you can see?) is whether it is solid PVC, or whether it is foam (aka cellular) cored. Foam cored pipe is more likely to breakdown inside the pipe(not in the middle, but within the wall).

Is this type of PVC pipe OK to use for the secondary coil? Is it the same as or superior for use as a secondary coil? Does it need to be dried and sealed the same as regular white PVC?

Yes.. if you actually are going to dry and seal your PVC. Lots of people don't. PVC is somewhat hygroscopic, so if you don't seal it, it will take up and lose water as the humidty changes. However, I doubt that it would affect coil performance very much. (opinions vary...)

Does anyone know where to get tubing made from plastics that are better suited for building coils?

Cadillac plastics (or whatever they're called now..) can supply you with almost any form of plastic tube you care to name. Watch out, though, it can get real pricey. Don't go ordering 2 foot diameter cast acrylic tubing for instance.

Is ABS superior to PVC?

Generally not, because ABS pipe is used for DWV (Drain, Waste, Vent) where it has to take no pressure, so it's almost always foam sandwich to reduce weight, noise, and cost. It's also black! Black = carbon black pigment = electrically conductive.

Is there a web site where this kind of information is located?

Yes and no. Search the archives at http://www.pupman.com/ (SDR will turn up data on that kind of pipe)

Thanks for any help. I have been planning this coil carefully for a long time and I am trying to use the best materials I can get for each part of the coil.

Best is kind of tricky. Choose for mechanical strength, minimal change in dimensions with conditions (so your form doesn't shrink and cause the windings to fall off), cost and appearance. Almost any plastic will work.

Paul Brodie