RE: Re[2]: RC filter

Original poster: "Lau, Gary" <gary.lau@xxxxxx>

The NST current measurement reading I cited was made by using the fiber
optic current probe designed by Terry Fritz, fed into a digital scope
that can render an RMS reading.  The waveform of NST currents feeding a
TC is not remotely sinusoidal, so I can't say how inaccurate a
measurement made by using a simple analog meter movement in series with
the NST secondary would be.  But if this is all simply to determine what
wattage resistors to use for the RC filter, it's just academic - just
use a 50 or 100W ceramic (NOT metal-cased) wire wound resistor.

I doubt that a useful reading would result from primary-side
measurements.  Again, the waveform is not sinusoidal (power factor
correction won't help this), and core saturation will result in
erroneous readings.  A better low-tech approach would be to put a
small-wattage resistor in series with the NST secondary with a
thermocouple or thermistor glued to it, run the coil for several minutes
continuously until thermal equilibrium occurs (CAREFULLY floating the
meter, since the resistor will be at HV potential).  Then apply a
variable DC potential to the same resistor until the same temperature
rise occurs, noting what current was needed.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA

> Original poster: Sebastiaan Draaisma <sebas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> Chiang Mai, Tuesday, March 15, 2005

> Posted on: Tuesday, March 15, 2005
>

> Hello Gary,
>
> Thanks again,
>
> This is very interesting all trough I'm wondering how you measure the
> actual output of the NST, I don't have, and am not familiar with a
scope.
> Can it be done by measuring the primary with the power factor
correction
> connected to it, measure the actual power consumption and convert that
back?

> For example I measure on the primary of my 230V - 15kV 30mA NST a
current
> of 3.26A, which would equal 750W and convert that back to the
secondary

> 750W / 15000V = 50mA. Or would this not work?
>

> Best regards,
>
> Sebastiaan Draaisma
>

> Tesla> Original poster: "Lau, Gary" <gary.lau@xxxxxx>
>

> Tesla> Hi Sebastiaan:
>

> Tesla> Sorry for the delay - I found this reply languishing in my
Drafts