TC potential measurements

Original poster: "Dr. Resonance" <resonance@xxxxxxxxxx>

One should also calculate using Vin x SQR (Lsec/Lpri) x 70% for a comparison value. This equation will closely agree with your measured values. The 70% represents a reasonable efficiency factor. Be careful with the Vin value --- Don't assume a 12 kV NST is producing the peak of 16.7 kV across a small spark gap. Either measure the peak potential across the gap or use the chart that Terry F. has posted in the archives. We measured actual potentials up to 30 kV. Corona became excessive above 26 kV but the values are correct for potentials below this value.

Terry's planar antenna and a 200 kV DC power source gave us good calibration
which we compared to the spark length measurement method.  We use a 7" dia
Van de Graaff sphere for most of our measurements.  We used a 14" dia sphere
for the large coils with toroids in excess of 4 ft dia.

Values were in very close agreement.

Even our Big Bruiser with it's 26 ft. long spark at 26 kVA was only
developing 865 kV!  We thought it was over a megaVolt but measurements
provided the truth.

Dr. Resonance

>  >This spark length is measured from the toroid to a 7-12 inch ground
> terminal.  It may then be compared
>  >with the peak DC potential charts in the Handbook of Chemistry &
Physics.