Re: Random TC Questions- streamer current

Original poster: "Peter Terren" <pterren@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

I don't think it is as simple as that. What you have is a "plasma ball" with a nice prickly central electrode. If Tesla could see streamers rising from grounded objects it can happen in this situation as well and contribute to coil heating
In addition if you feed the coil RF hash it may resonate. I have seen this oscillation of a light globe discussed before but this is the only article I could google at present
http://www.dsprelated.com/showmessage/21646/3.php

Peter

"Is it really valid to assume the current in a light globe is the same for 50Hz as 100kHz? I would suspect that the
> "coiled coil" tungsten filament may alter this.
Peter

Almost certainly, because the Q of the filament is so low that the reactance probably doesn't count below 1 MHz or so. ....

Ed