RE: bipolar coil design

Original poster: "Ralph Zekelman" <gridleak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Gary,

See: http://www.hot-streamer.com/temp/RalphsCoil/

I run 2250 Watts input to a variety of bipolars and twins with no
problems once
I solved the coupling issues. Best results is to make a solenoid
primary. I used #12
THHN for trial before I made the solenoid with 1/4 inch copper. Once
the approximate tune points are found, unused primary turns should
be removed because they can act like an autotransformer.
Insulation and HV techniques are important
in the type of bipolar Lee is building. Tuning the twins is a challenge.
I used
essentially the method described by Malcolm and Dr. Nicholson.

Ralph Zekelman

-----Original Message----- From: Tesla list [mailto:tesla@xxxxxxxxxx] Sent: Tuesday, March 22, 2005 10:07 AM To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx Subject: RE: bipolar coil design

Original poster: "Lau, Gary" <gary.lau@xxxxxx>

Never having built a bipolar coil I can't comment based on experience,
but powering it by two 15/60's sounds like major overkill.  I should
think the primary would be an unavoidable target with such power.

Is it typical to run the primary at twice the secondary frequency?

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA

center
of