RE: SS Variac (Low Pass Filter)

Original poster: "Steve Conner" <steve.conner@xxxxxxxxxxx>

>The basic topology is a full wave DC bridge in
>series with hot leg, with a 600V, 40A IGBT across +/- of bridge as a
>commutating
>switch.

Before you do any more work on this, please give some thought to the $64,000
question- When you're driving an inductive load (like a NST etc) through
this device, the current will try to keep flowing when the IGBT turns off.
Where will it flow?

I tried to figure it out but couldn't think of any path for it. I concluded
that the diode bridge or IGBT would be destroyed by inductive kickback when
running with an inductive load, so I gave up on this topology.

If anyone can prove me wrong I'd be happy as it's a very simple and
attractive circuit. I know a guy who successfully used it to do PWM dimming
of filament lamps but of course they are pure resistive loads.

Steve Conner