Re: Solid State Tesla Coil

Original poster: Grishka <ghome@xxxxxxxxx>

Tl> Hello!

Tl> My name is Alexander Turkin. I'm writing from Ukraine. I'm fond of
Tl> physics. That's why I decided to build my own Tesla Coil. I decided to use
Tl> Richie
Tl> Burrets circuit. So I have some questions about constructing Tesla Coil. I want
Tl> to build a Solid State Tesla Coil. So, please answer my questions.
Tl> (All the questions are concerning Richies SSTC)

Hello, Alexander! Do you visit our "favourite" forums: www.high.h1.ru
and  http://flyback.org.ru ? You can find me there as "grigory",
besides, from what city are you? (i`m from Zaporozhye)

Tl> 1. How do I make less the number of burned MOSFET's ?

You have to model your circuit in such soft as switchercad or the
like.. But you couldn`t safe all your mosfets at the first time - my own experience...
Then, read "mosfails" on Richie`s page..

Tl> 2. How do I tune the circuit? And if I make everything correctly for the first
Tl> time, dose it still need to be tuned?

It should be tuned to the resonant frequency of the secondary coil.

Tl> 3. What is a layout chart picture (wiring layout)? Please, send it to me, if
Tl> someone have it.

I don`t have unfortunately...

Tl> 4. Is it possible to use IRFP460 as a power transistor? Or STW15NB50 is
Tl> better? What other MOSFET's can I use there?

I was building a bridge on irf840 - but the power was funny :) Hey,
where did you find a STW15NB50 in Ukraine???

Tl> 5. Can I use something else instead of MUR1660CT ?

Any fast recovery diode - schottky is the best, it should handle a
rather heavy current to prevent anti-esr while switching off.

Tl> 6. There is a photo of PCB on his site. There are 4 IC's, named "MOSFET drive
Tl> IC's", but they aren't in the circuit. There is only one IC (TL494). What are
Tl> they?

Try to use a ir4427 - i was constructing with these ICs :P

Tl> 7. In Richies circuit there is a resistor "10R". It means 10 ohm or 10 kohm ?

10 ohm of course.

Tl> 8. How do I wind a transformer? All the wires should we wound to the same
Tl> side?

Best contact me offlist - i`ll tell you everything on excellent
russian language :-)

--
Best regards,
 Grishka                            mailto:ghome@xxxxxxxxx