Re: big coil history

Hi Ed,

Take a nice lumped theory Tesla coil model like this:

http://www.hot-streamer.com/TeslaCoils/MyPapers/modact/Image160.gif

And try and work through it with pencil and paper ;-))

Today with computers and MicroSim like programs, "anyone" can do it!! But if one tries to do it the hard way (and many many have tried!!), you just can't do it.... Much like transmission line theory in 80's, the tools were not there to workout the details.... Today, Antonio has many papers where those details "have" been worked to a very high degree!

Also, today we can measure things with high confidence. In the 30's and 40's, they just did not have the test tools to "know" what was going on. It is always far easier to know what the system is doing with real measurements and "then" fit the theory ;-))

In the old days I am sure many worked things and found the terminal voltage of a coil with say 10 foot streamers to be 300kV... Well, that was obviously "wrong" !! :o)) 10 feet at 10kV/inch is 1,200,000 volts... Tesla always gave coils super high voltages too... If the physics did not agree with Tesla then the physics was obviously wrong because Tesla certainly was not... I think a lot of the mess got started just that way...

Of course, we all know who started the 1/4 wavelength of wire idea ;-)))

http://www.pbs.org/tesla/tt/images/tt_main.jpg

"Probably through misinterpretation of something Tesla said?" Actually, direct and accurate interpretations of what Tesla said...

If he would have had a good scope, think of how different it would all be now!!!! If anyone gets that time machine working, we gotta send Tesla a scope!!! If Tesla had a scope, maybe we would have time machines now!! ;o))

Cheers,

        Terry