Re: Russian high-voltage installation (being scrapped?)

Original poster: "Jim Lux" <jimlux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tesla list" <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx> To: <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx> Sent: Sunday, May 01, 2005 11:54 AM Subject: Re: Russian high-voltage installation (being scrapped?)

> Original poster: Ed Phillips <evp@xxxxxxxxxxx> > > "Photo 8 is clearly a classic cascade HV generator, with transformers > cascaded to get higher voltages. Sort of the "real thing" for my stack > of > C&H 4500V illumination transformers. It looks almost exactly like the > schematic diagram you see in HV texts." > > You stacked some of those C&H transformers? What do you do with it? > More details including how you got primary insulation. I've looked at > those things several times and have been tempted to haul one home, but > never have - too much big stuff here now.

Easy to stack.. I built a "giant NST".. Those transformers have 3 windings.
117 V, 4.5kV, and a 600V winding (designed to connect to a 10 uF, 660VAC run
cap for PFC).  I feed the bottom transformer with 117 V, and connect the
600V winding to the 600 V winding of the next transformer. Secondaries in
series.  Two stacks, with a common point grounded makes a 20kV, 450ma (or
225mA)  current limited transformer.  I mounted the "high" transformers on
4" standoffs, and connected to core to the 600V winding and one of the
terminals of the 4500V winding, figuring that would reduce the stress. I
also left the capacitor in, figuring PFC is a "good thing".

I suppose one could keep stacking.. hook the 110V winding of the second
transformer to a 110V winding on a third, but looking at the transformer, it
seems that the insulation between the 110V and 600V windings might not hold
up.

I also haven't gone back to look at where all the leakage reactance is. On a
two winding transformer you don't care, but a three winding transformer's a
bit trickier.

The problem is mass... 4 transformers at 50lb each + mounting hardware (I
used a piece of 1/4" plate aluminum, bolted to a handtruck) and it gets
heavy!