Re: X-Ray Transformer VERY Scarred!

Original poster: "Paul Marshall" <klugmann@xxxxxxxxxxx>

The easy way to tell if it is PCB oil is to drop a drop in a glass of water. if it sinks to the bottom it is PCB oil. If it floats to the top it is just transformer oil. Also remember PCB oil is a General electric product. If your transformer was made by someone else it is probably safe...

Paul S. Marshall

From: "Tesla list" <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: X-Ray Transformer VERY Scarred!
Date: Mon, 02 May 2005 10:58:29 -0600

Original poster: "Jim Lux" <jimlux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tesla list" <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx> To: <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx> Sent: Sunday, May 01, 2005 6:14 PM Subject: X-Ray Transformer VERY Scarred!

> Original poster: "Daniel Koll" <dk_spl_audio@xxxxxxxxxxx> > > I was going to take out those rectifiers in my x-ray transformer and > thought of something. Do you think this can contain PCBs? I got the cover > off and the oil (or PCBs) splashed a little and got on my hands and > face. The smell was pungent but not overwhelming. I started to feel sick > breathing it in. > The color is about the same as new motor oil. I can almost see to the > bottom (it is about 12" tall) I am now very scarred and have not touched > it since the thought came to my mind. What could happen? Is there a way > to tell if it is PCBs? The thing is probably around 35-40 years > old. There is no markings of any kind on the case.

Worry not.. PCBs are hardly "instant death", or even "much delayed death".
They happen to be detectable in part per trillion quantities, and last
forever, AND there's a contaminant in the manufacturing process (dioxin)
which isn't too healthy.

People have literally swum in tanks of PCBs without ill effect.  Yes, PCBs
have resulted in a statistically significant increase in cancer incidence,
but that's partly because so many people have been exposed, the incidence
doesn't have to go up much to show a statistically significant difference.

Also, not all PCBs have the carcinogenic contaminants. The practical problem
faced by regulators is that you can't tell without lots of expensive testing
whether the batch in front of you is contaminated or not.

Quick and dirty test.. PCBs don't burn, oil does.