Re: MOV's

Original poster: Shaun Epp <scepp@xxxxxxx>

Paul,

I've read that TVS diodes conduct quicker that MOVs do, although I don't remember where I say it.

For the Terry fiter, I doubt that you'll find 1800v TVS diodes. I think you'll be stuck with MOV's in that application.

Shaun

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tesla list" <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx> To: <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx> Sent: Tuesday, May 03, 2005 6:25 PM Subject: Re: MOV's

Original poster: "Paul B. Brodie" <pbbrodie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Terry,
Thanks for the info. I went to that site and read all they have on TVS's. From what it says, a TVS is much more like an MOV than a zener and in fact they refer to a TVS as "a clamping device like an MOV." It says that a TVS will clamp a transient at the clamp voltage and divert it away from the device being protected. That was basically what I was asking in my original post. The schematic I have for driving an ignition coil with a Mosfet shows a 130V MOV across the DS of the Mosfet to "protect the Mosfet from transients." (note on the schematic) What I would like to know is if I can substitute one of these TVS's for the MOV in this application?? The TVS is rated 135 to 150 clamp voltage and the schematic calls for a 130V to 150V MOV.

Also, if a TVS conducts at its clamp voltage and stops conducting when the voltage drops below this level, isn't this basically what an MOV does? Could I substitute the TVS's for the MOV's in the Terry Filter?

Finally, I Googled the part number that Electronic Goldmine is using and the only reference I got was Electronic Goldmine!!! I looked at the part at Digikey and I don't see where it refers to this part from Elec Gold. How did you come up with the Digikey part and where do you find information like the Protection Notes you directed me to? If I could figure out how to locate this information for myself, I wouldn't have to annoy you so much!!!{:-) I don't mind doing my own research at all but it seems that all I ever accomplish is to frustrate myself by finding zilch!

Thank you so much for your patience with me. I really do appreciate it more than I can say. You have been a really big help. Later.
Paul
Think Positive

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tesla list" <<mailto:tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>tesla@xxxxxxxxxx> To: <<mailto:tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>tesla@xxxxxxxxxx> Sent: Tuesday, May 03, 2005 1:34 PM Subject: Re: MOV's

<<mailto:teslalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>teslalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>