Re: X-Ray Transformer on eBay

Hi Godfrey,

You wrote:

Hello Ivan
Also x-ray transformers are rated in peak
voltage, so this one is really 21,000v rms. However this particular
transformer does looks interesting in that the secondary coil is
encapsulated and not placed over the primary. If one could disassemble
the core and get it back together again, the primary could be replace
with a lower gauge wire to run hotter. One should count the number of
turns on the discarded primary. Only the big x-ray transformers counts
towards impressive arcs.
Godfrey Loudner

One would think that, from the kv(p) designation, where (p) = peak.
From personal experience in measuring the transformation ratio it
would seem that the AC rms value reaches or even exceeds the kvp
rating, though, with 240 volt input. For example, a 140 kvp x-ray tranny that I once had showed about a 750:1 secondary to primary voltage ratio.
Therefore 240 volt(750) = 180 kV, which is actually considerably
higher than its kVp rating. Its nameplate did say 220 volts input
though, not 240. But at 220 volt input, that would still yield a 165 kV
AC rms output. This transformer would make sparks nearly 14"
long, too ;^) but it finally burned out on me ;^(( I'm thinking that
the kVp rating is designed for the load of the x-ray tube and the
this would allow for a voltage drop which may very well bring the recti-
fied output into the AC peak x (.707 range). For that reason, it's
NOT a good idea to run an x-ray tranny at its full input voltage
with the HV secondary output open circuit as this allows the po-
tential of the secondary to go higher than what the transformer is designed for. That's obviously what happened to my ill-fated 140 kVp,
500 mA tranny that weighed nearly 1000 lbs when I was streching
out the output leads 14" apart to get ever longer sparks. It finally "sparked" at the wrong place ;^O

BTW, you're correct in that big x-ray transformers are what make
the impressive arcs. I don't think that I have ever heard of a voltage
as low as 30 kV for diagnostic x-rays, either. Most dental x-ray
units (which require the lowest voltage for diagnostic puposes-
only penetration of the flesh of the cheak is required) are 60 to
70 kV.

David Rieben