EMI Filters

Original poster: "Paul B. Brodie" <pbbrodie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

I have a 20A EMI filter wired in reverse between the wall outlet and my variac. I have a volt meter attached to the variac outlet.

I was driving one of my ignition coils with a 600 watt dimmer in series with a 2mF cap. As I powered up the variac, I could read the voltage increasing on the volt meter all the way up to 120V. When I turned up the dimmer, the voltage indication on the volt meter went haywire when the coil began sparking. If I drew the ground away from the HV output, the volt meter would stabilize as soon as the sparks stopped.

What have I missed here? This isn't normal, is it??!! Could the EMI filter be bad?
Paul
Think Positive