RE: DC coil without the voltage doubler resoance charge inductor?

Original poster: "Mark Dunn" <mdunn@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Jim:

I don't completely understand your question...
But in my case I feed the FW rectifier ~7KV and pull ~200 mA from my
MOT's and have ~10 KV on the DC side of FW and filter caps.  This gives
me a 1.5/2.0 KW system.  Is your expectation to go to much higher
KW(which obviously you can with your pig, but you need a big coil to do
that)?  As I told Paul, I would use MOT secodaries in series for the
charging reactor to get the unit working, then build an appropriate
charging reactor for long term use.  My experience with my voltage and
current is the MOT secondary insulation fails in charging reactor
service after some hours of operation.  Note Steve has different
results.  I am afraid this does not answer your question, because I
think you might really be asking about the design of air chokes to use
in place of the charging reactor on both DC legs.  In any event, you may
find this info useful or not.

Best of Luck.
Mark

HI ALL, I am having a hard time understanding how Mot's with out a lot
of series paralleling to contain the inductance on target can withstand
the torture of the high current demand and 30KV voltage doubling + from
my pole pig power. It seems to me that a similar choke would need to be
constructed consistent to a pig sans LV and even better insulated,
constructed, and rated HV windings. This Steve does not take into
consideration your spdt gap but rather the Burnett configuration. I plan
to try both. Am I missing something here? Smoking the choke seems like a
very bad outcome...and a run away condition. Poof. Any other ideas on
limiting the charge from the filter caps to the tank?

Thanks for the educating posts.
Jim Mora, Resistor naysayer
Ojai,ca