Re: spray enamel vs shellack

Original poster: Steve Conner <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi all

The spray enamel vs. shellac debate just keeps on running! I think the main use of the coating is just to stick the windings in place and stop them coming undone later on. I have heard people use anything from Saran Wrap to hot glue to Ronseal polyurethane varnish meant for furniture and it never seems to cause any trouble. But I would draw the line at wallpaper paste and No More Nails :-)

My personal choice is electrical varnish that I get from RS components. The reason being that it's specified for electrical use- the dielectric strength is printed on the tin. It costs about $10 a can but one can goes a long way. I used about half a can worth to coat my 10" x 30" coil.

I don't know what brand it is but I'd bet it is very similar to Glyptal or such like.

Steve Conner