Re: spray enamel vs shellack

Original poster: Karl Lindheimer <karl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Paul,

I second Jim's posting that nearly any CLEAR coating should work fine for Tesla coiling. I have used clear poly, spray lacquer, and epoxy coatings on the secondary, with no problems. Clear shipping tape also works. The main purpose of coating the secondary coil is not so much as for insulation, but rather for mechanical protection of the windings. Occasionally, thermal expansion and contraction will cause windings to slip and fall.

Coatings to avoid would include anything that would be remotely conductive, such as black barbecue paint, metallic paints containing silver and gold flecks, and probably latex (contains water until dry.)

Let us know how the clear enamel paint works for you.

Karl