Re: GDT

Original poster: Finn Hammer <f-h@xxxx>

Alexander.

"Quite small" does not offer much destription to the majority of us. we need Inside dia. outside dia. length. (or width, if you prefer that orientation.) Material would be nice.
For the gate transformers that I have made, I used 5 lengths of 0.35mm magnet wire twisted together. I cannot see why not going down to 0.2mm wire driving up to 40N60`s.
1 wire is used for the primary, the 4 others are secondary`s.
I twisted them using a hand drilling machine with a hook in the chuck. the wires were in a 1.5meter long 2and a half loop at that time, with the loose end and 2 loop ends chucked in a vice, the other 2 loop ends passing around the hook. Rotating the hook makes a very satisfyingly look on the twisted wires. They twist nice and even that way.

Jan Wagner already layd down the basics of inductance needed for the relevant frequencies, check his site for relevant reading. GDT core size is one reason to keep the res.freq. uppish.

Cheers, Finn Hammer

Tesla list wrote:

Original poster: "Alexander Turkin" <alex_3@xxxxxxx>

Hello all!

I've got a ferrite (for a Gate Drive Transformer) but it's quite small. So I have to use a thin wire. My question is: what wire can I use in it? I mean how thin it can be? What currents are present there?
Can I make the number of turns less (for example, 10 turns primary and 10 turns each secondary)? What will change?

Alex