Re: Current Limiting and Impedence

Original poster: "Paul B. Brodie" <pbbrodie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Gerry,
When I was in Home Depot the other day looking for polyurethane, I noticed a bin full of all thread that also had many sizes of unthreaded steel rod as well. While going through some of the rods it came to me that I could fill a piece of PVC with a bunch of these rods to use as a core for an inductor, similar to a laminated core. I think I would probably need to insulate the rods from each other with varnish or polyurethane, right? Without having to worry about how much space is available, like with an E/I core, the selection of wire gauge should be simpler and you could just keep adding layers of wire until you get the inductance required. The thing I stupidly didn't do was write down the prices of the steel rod. I'm also quite sure that there is a less expensive place to obtain steel rod. In fact, it just came to me that back when I had a TIG welder, I bought 1/8" uncoated steel rod from the welding supply where I bought Argon. If I remember correctly, this steel rod is available in many different types of steel from brass to soft low carbon steel to several different types of stainless steel.
Later.
Paul
Think Positive

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tesla list" <<mailto:tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>tesla@xxxxxxxxxx> To: <<mailto:tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>tesla@xxxxxxxxxx> Sent: Monday, May 09, 2005 12:52 PM Subject: Re: Current Limiting and Impedence