Re: Current Limiting and Impedence

Original poster: Steve Conner <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Just a possible application for gapped ferromagnetic
inductors... A pole face rotor (DC field) from a large
alternator

Hey, good idea Harvey :))) Any induction motor should work as a ballast inductor since they already have air gaps in their magnetic circuit. They can be got cheap from scrap yards so it might be worth trying. If you're feeling really ingenious I guess you could grind flats on the rotor and adjust the inductance by turning it. You would have to lock it since it would want to spin. Or maybe it would be better to take the rotor out altogether?

Just a thought. Mind you I think something similar was mentioned in that Christmas Magnifier story that used to do the rounds. It was a joke but maybe not as stupid as it seems :P

Steve Conner