Re: Current Limiting and Impedence

Original poster: "Gerald  Reynolds" <gerryreynolds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi David,

You can put your ballast inductor directly across your variac and plot the current as a function of the variac's output voltage. and see how linear it is and if it saturates. The impedance of the inductor will be Xp = Vp/Ip (assuming the resistance is negligable). Choose a Vp,Ip pair for where you intend to operate it at. Assuming your ballast does not saturate, you can transfer the primary ballast impedance to the secondary by multiplying it by the turns ratio squared. Xs = Xp * N^2. Cres can then be calculated as follows:

Cres (nf) = 10^9 / (2*pi*freq*Xs)

If both of your ballast configurations limit the current at 14 amps, the effective inductance should be the same and where you are relative to charging resonance will depend on your Cp. This assumes no saturation. If the 160 turn ballast saturates, its effectivce inductance will go down.

Gerry R.

Original poster: "david baehr" <dfb25@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Ok, I had trouble when I substituted a static spark gap with a SRSG , would not operate correctly ,....it was suggested that my home made ballast( gapped 'E' and 'I' core ) was resonating with the ballast, and,I should add more turns to the ballast. Now, just say I wanted a short circuit value of 14 amps , would there be a diff in resonance if I had 270 turns at 14amps , but having to remove the 'I' completly from the 'E' to reach that value , or , to have 160 turns , but having the 'I' shimmed about .06" to reach the 14amps Im lookin for ??? ....between these two configurations , would they still have the same resonances with the cap or ??,,,,,, Heck , I dont know !!!!