Re: Problems with Information Unlimited transformer

Original poster: "Dr. Resonance" <resonance@xxxxxxxxxx>

Now you know why it failed.

Any cap used with a xmfr with only the leads for inductance will generate a
mhz signal or higher --- something the xmfr was not designed to handle.  The
HF currents use capacitive reactance to easily penetrate most good
insulations including mylar, glass, etc.  It forms a capacitor between
layers and uses displacement currents to burrow right thru.

Dr. Resonance

>  From what I remember, they only use a choke to limit RF back to the
> transformer.
>
> Matt,
>
> Your quickest solution to this would be to go out a buy a good used neon
> sign transformer, 10 Kv at 30 mA.  When you connect it to your system,
make
> sure that your tesla coil primary is not grounded as this would short out
> half of the transformer.  I believe that the BTC3 does use a grounded
primary.

> Information Unlimited might replace the transformer, I don't know because
> I've never returned anything to them, but they seem resonable.
>
> Shaun Epp
>
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Tesla list" <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>

Only
> >do
> > > this momentarily, as it subjects the components to unusual stress, and
> >only
> > > serves to verify proper operation up to this point.
> > >
> > > (The actual primary/secondary coils were not attached.)
> > > (The actual coils are not concerned in this problem. All talk about >
coils
> > > is referring to the transformer.)
> > >
> > > Now, here's my problem: As soon as we flipped the switch, there was a
> bit
> > > of sparking inside the secondary of the transformer. We ran through
the
> > > test as far as grounding it, and it worked just fine, except for the
> > > sparking in the transformer. We then shut everything down and
> > attempted > to
> > > ground the capacitor again to discharge it, to see if it had any >
residual
> > > charge. There was no spark. We were kinda concerned about the spark >
> > inside
> > > of the transformer, so we turned the coil on again and the transformer
> > > started to produce smoke, and there was an orange glow inside of the
> > > secondary of the transformer. We tried step 20 again, to ground the
> > > capacitor, but with no results. Are there any suggestions as to what >
> > might
> > > be the problem? I feel that there was an internal problem with the
> > > transformer, as we have gone through the wiring several times to
verify
> >its
> > > accuracy. The coil itself is due next week for a physics project.
Could