Re: ScanTesla program -> Optimization

Original poster: "Malcolm Watts" <m.j.watts@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

On 19 May 2005, at 0:34, Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Gerry  Reynolds" <gerrytesla@xxxxxxx>
>
> Hi Malcolm,
>
> By R1 are you meaning RL, the streamer load.  Some fonts you cant tell
> the difference between a "one" and a "little L" :-((   Seems like both
> CL and RL would be time varying and the C program might be able to
> model those dependencies if one made some assumptions about streamer
> growth (I just dont know what those assumptions might be).
>
> Gerry R.

It was supposed to have been seen as R subscript L. I did use a lower
case "L" and appreciate the difficulties with fonts and simple text :(
I've never been one to allow machines to get in the way of accuracy ;)
I agree that both CL and RL (there, I've bowed to the Almighty ;) are
time varying on a small enough scale and personally dislike averaging
things, a process which has the capacity to mask interesting facts in
some situations (revealing a pet peeve with statistics and the way
they are used and interpreted by some). I think streamer growth
occurring bang-by-bang in a TC has some simlarities with leader
stretch in lightning although the underlying mechanisms are somewhat
different.

Malcolm