Re: PIG failure modes

Original poster: Charles Brush <cfbrush@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Original poster: "Gerry Reynolds"
 > <gerrytesla@xxxxxxx>
<
<snip>
DO
 > you or ANYONE else
 know if a PIG will be damaged by voltages less than
 the BIL rating.  I have
 a 5KVA pig that has the following ratings (but no
> BIL rating):

LV: 120/240
> HV: 14400/24940

I don't know about voltages below the BIL, but voltages above the BIL can be commonplace in a Tesla coil circuit and can pop up in unexpected places. I took out a 5kVA pig several years back after some direct strikes to the tank circuit from my 6" coil. I was living dangerously with no safety gap on the pig while getting some nice six footers out of the system. Never again.

Zap!

Charles Brush
http://www.ElectricMuseum.com